ROMA, 28 LUGLIO – INTERSOS, independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion, is lookink for Head of Mission in Libya. Here is the terms
1. Terms of reference
Job title: Head of MissionDuty
Station: Tunis, but according to security situation and to defined strategies of the Migration Unit, conduct frequent mission to Libya.
Starting date: September 2017
Duration of contract: 6 months
Reporting to: Head of Migration UnitDependents: yes
2. General context of the project
INTERSOS is a non-profit humanitarian aid organization that works to bring assistance to people in danger, victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. INTERSOS is starting now its operations in coordination with UNICEF in the frame of the Migration Unit.In recent years the country has been a key springboard for migrants heading for Europe. Concerns have also been raised over the rise of Islamist militancy there. Presently Libya is hosting a terrific humanitarian crisis that impact firstly on hundreds of thousands of migrants that enter Libya trying to cross central Mediterranean sea toward Italy. They are hosted in ‘detention centers’ in inhuman conditions. At same time, Libya is the most debated scenario for European diplomacy that is struggling to stop migration influx to Europe with all available diplomatic and economic means. United to the difficult and to be assessed security situation, Libya is an extremely hard context for humanitarian intervention.
3. General purpose of the position
The general purpose of the post is to represent INTERSOS in Libya, and act in accordance with specific directions from and supervision of the Migration Unit
4. Tasks and responsibilities
The HoM manages and coordinates the operations and human resources in the country and is responsible to:• Establish and maintain collaborative relations with Local Authorities and Institutions, Donors, International Agencies, NGOs, partners and other stakeholders;• Follow up, guarantee and monitor government recognition procedures for the organization in compliance with the host country formalities• Define, in coordination with the Migration team, country priorities based on context and needs analyses; monitor donor intervention strategies in the country; design, promote and elaborate new interventions;• Define strategic priorities for the development and set up of the mission structure;• Support the definition of the mission financial plan, ensuring self-sufficiency and consistency of expenses, and assume responsibility for the mission funds management, including bank accounts;• Coordinate, guide and supervise the mission staff, and evaluate their performance;• Proactively participate in relevant coordination and strategic meeting at Tunis and wherever else.
5. Required profile/experience
• Advanced university degree. A first level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.• At least 5 years of professional work experience as Head of Mission or other management/ coordination positions in humanitarian/development contexts.• Knowledge of the regional context• Previous experience in refugees operation in Northern Africa is an asset• Proven experience with UNICEF is a strong asset• Proven experience in management of EU, UN, USAID and ECHO funds.• Proven experience in management of staff teams.• Proficient knowledge of English is required. Arabic is an asset• Remote control experience is an asset• Risk management knowledge is an asset• Strong diplomatic capacities and negotiation skills• Knowledge of Migration Issues especially related to Italy• Ability to set high standards for quality of work• Ability to analyze the regional dimension of the Libyan situation• Ability to analyze and integrate information from a wide range of sources• Ability to administrate funds, logistics and human resources• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written• Mastery of IT tools (MS Office package, internet, e-mail, etc.)• Fluent in English compulsory, Italian is an asset and Arabic a plus• Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with analytic approach• Strong diplomatic capacities and negotiation skills• Ability to take initiative and work autonomously• Ability to work in a High Risk environment• Ability to achieve results effectively, considering the need for speed, scale and quality• Ability to integrate and work well within multiethnic and multicultural teams• Ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships
Qualified applicants are requested to submit their CV, motivation letter and 2 references to email@example.com with subject line: ‘Head of Mission – Libya’.
(@novellatop, 28 luglio 2017)